Batmen Club M.I.T. for 13th Win

By M. DEACON Dake

The sun was low over left field yesterday as Harvard's leading hitter, Dan DeMichele, strolled next to the Stadium on his way to a hot Dillon shower. It was only the top of the eighth, but his teammates were gliding to a 9-1 win over M.I.T. and he was hungry.

Yes, the whole game was rather relaxed, in fact so relaxed that the Engineers were able to boot, drop. bobble, kick, and fumble their way to a less than sparkling nine errors. Harvarden rout to its 13th victory against two defeats, was a bit more alert, falling asleep at the switch only three times. In fact. if this were St. Louis, the big red "E" on the Budweiser scoreboard would've burned out from overuse.

"Any time a team has nine errors against you, it's a sloppy ball game." Harvard coach Loyal Park said after the game. "The great thing for us is that everybody got to play and we got to work four pitchers." Of the four, starter Sandy Weissent picked up the win his second against no setbacks.

In sending M.I.T. to its eighth defeat. Harvard managed to outhit the Engineers by only one, seven to six, and was able to earn only four of its nine runs.

Fast Ball

Two of these earned runs came on DeMichele's second home run of the season, which broke open a 1-1 third-inning tie.

"It was a high fastball," DeMichele said in describing the pitch that gave him his only hit in three at bats. "Yeah. I hit a really rousing one for three, but seriously most of the credit so far this year has to go to Art Serrano; he's been just great."

Catcher Varney

Indeed. Serrano has been very impressive, both at bat and in the field. The Crimson shortstop had the other two RBI's yesterday and his bat continues to blaze at a 353 clip. Catcher Pete Varney also added points to his already plump 350 batting average with two hits against the Engineers.

Hoping to pull off an upset today. M.I.T. was definitely shocked and depressed at the ease with which Harvard disposed of the possibility of an Engineer win. "Oh Jesus, I can't, I mean I just can't say anything now," M.I.T. coach Francis O'Brien mumbled as he shook his head in disbelief.

"Well, ah, where will you be going to from here, coach?"

"Home." was the dazed response. The bus driver beeped the horn and the sun was gone.