Vellucci Says City Mayor Should Serve as Overseer

Speaking at a spaghetti dinner before the Harvard Young Republicans Club last night, Cambridge Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci proposed that the mayor of Cambridge occupy a permanent seat on the Harvard Board of Overseers.

"Since Cambridge is a community which is involved with Harvard, it ought to have a say about what this University does and does not do." Vellucci said.

He added, "When the libs took over that building on Memorial Drive last month, Harvard was afraid of going in there and getting their eyes scratched out. If the mayor of Cambridge had sat on the Board of Overseers, he would have something to say about what was going on."

Several Harvard Overseers contacted last night were skeptical of Vellucci's proposal. "I don't think that the mayor of Cambridge, since he is not a Harvard graduate, would really find it worth his while to sit on the board." said the Rev. John Crocker '22.

Another Overseer, William A. Coolidge '24, expressed doubts about the importance of Vellucci's plan. "I think that there are other issues in America which are more important to the Harvard community than this one," Coolidge said.

In his long, rambling discussion with 16 Young Republicans, the mayor aimed his usual barbs at the Harvard community, including even John Harvard himself.

Vellucci said that John Harvard was not "half the scholar Dante was," and he proposed that Harvard University he renamed "Dante's Inferno."