Crimson Golfers Face Six Teams In Boston Match

The Harvard linksmen and six other golf teams will participate in the Greater Boston annual golf tournament which begins today at the Concord Country Club.

Skip Kistner, who finished third individually in this tournament last season, said yesterday, "This has got to be the most important match we've played so far this year. It's really big psychologically, since it will give us some indication of how well we can do in the Easterns, as well as how much we've improved."

The Crimson goes into today's play with a 3-3 record, coming off a victory against Cornell on Friday. Except for Tufts-which beat Harvard, 4-3, a week ago-the quality of competition in the tournament is a mystery at this point.

But despite that loss to Tufts in match play, the Crimson has to be the favorite, if for no other reason than that the Harvard golfers have won the Greater Bostons four out of the last five years.

More Bad Weather

It's a traditional joke among the golfers that the weather is always cold and damp for the Greater Bostons. The weather will be especially telling today, since the linksmen have to play 36 holes-18 in the morning, 18 more after lunch.

George Grimshaw, coach of the Tufts golf squad, commenting on today's important test, said, "Harvard has to be the favorite, but endurance will be the big factor. We just hope the weather doesn't prohibit play. After all, this tournament was snowed out two years ago."