D.C. Disruptions Continue Despite Arrests at HEW

By Robert Decherd and Michael S. Feldberg

WASHINGTON-Despite the arrest of over 200 persons yesterday at the Department of Health. Education and Welfare (HEW), antiwar demonstrators will lobby the Justice Department here this morning, then move on to picket the home of Secretary of State William P. Rogers this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon, police arrested about 250 lobbyists organized by the People's Coalition for Peace and Justice. They had broken through a plywood wall erected by police Wednesday night to prevent them from entering the inner corridors of the HEW building.

When police blocked the demonstrators from proceeding further into the building, the demonstrators began to carry the plywood barrier piece by piece down Independence Ave. toward the White House.

They were arrested outside the HEW building for parading without a permit and arraigned last night in Washington Superior Court. No bail had been set at 11 p.m.

Led By Abernathy

Yesterday's demonstration began when about 750 protesters-led by the Rev. Ralph D. Abernathy, chairman of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference-gathered outside the HEW building to demand a $6500 minimum annual income for the poor.

The demonstrators requested a meeting with HEW secretary Elliot L. Richardson '41. At 11:30 a.m., HEW officials admitted the demonstrators to an auditorium inside the HEW building, but Richardson did not appear.

Legal problems are mounting for the demonstrators as the number of arrests climbs. The Mayday Tribe went bankrupt Wednesday when the last available bail funds were used to free some of the nearly 500 lobbyists arrested at Selective Service headquarters on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Over $70,000 has been spent so far, and Mayday leaders estimate that another $30,000 to $40,000 will be needed in the next week.

Demonstrators were held for over six hours yesterday before arraignment before Washington Superior Court Judge Harold H. Greene. It marked the second day on which police have refused to allow demonstrators to post collateral for release-normally set at $10.

Police Chief Jerry T. Wilson ordered that collateral be denied Wednesday, and a hastily convened Superior Court set bail at $250 for those arraigned Wednesday night. The Court permitted the defendants to be released upon cash payment of ten per cent of the bonds, but few were able to post the necessary $25.

Another problem arose last night when the Chesapeake Bay Telephone Company "temporarily disconnected" the only telephone lines into Mayday headquarters.

A telephone company supervisor said the line was disconnected at the company's initiative. but refused to saywhy the action was taken.

About 5000 demonstrators are presently camping in West Potomac Park, just south of the Lincoln Memorial. They had originally intended to stay in Rock Creek Park, a much larger area in the northern part of the city, but Mayday organizers were afraid that because the park is a valley, any tear gas used by police against demonstrators would remain permanently over the campsite.

The small size and isolation of West Potomac Park have caused problems. It is on a small peninsula with only three access routes, all of which could easily be blocked by police.

Viewing the campsite, Washington Post columnist Nicholas Von Hoffman said, "It kind of looks like Dien Bien Phu."