Crimson Cindermen Glide Past Surprisingly Strong Eli Squad

By E. J. Dionne

The Harvard track team defeated a surprisingly strong Yale squad, 84-69, Saturday in New Haven as both teams braved a cold rain to participate in the meet which was to decide who will go to England next month for the Oxford-Cambridge meet.

Originally, coaches from both schools were to meet after the contest to determine the composition of the squad. It was agreed that the team would consist essentially of first and second place finishers in Saturday's meet.

However, the rain complicated this selection process by somewhat diluting the importance of Saturday's results. The coaches postponed their meeting, but plan to have a team together by early this week.

The Crimson received a big boost in Saturday's meet when its distance runners swept both the mile and two mile.

In the two mile, Tom Spengler and Jeff Brokaw took the lead at the start and finished 1-2. John Quirk held third place throughout the race, shaking off a Yale challenger early in the running. Spengler was timed at 9:36.4. Brokaw at 9:39.0 and Quirk at 9:50.4.

Harvard's Jon Enscoe, Tom Spengler and John Quirk finished first, second and third in the mile Enscoe's winning time was 4:17.9.

Harvard's Dave Anderson took first place in the 880 in 1:55.1 and he was followed by teammate Bob Clayton, 6 seconds behind. Yale's Deac Lovelace was third at 1:55.8.

Yale bolstered its total by sweeping the discus and the pole vault. The Eli also got an outstanding performance from sprinter Don Martin.

Martin won the 10.0 in 9.8, edging Bailee Reed by 2 second. His time of 22.4 in the 220 was 4 seconds better than Harvard's Bud Wilson.

First Defeat

In the sprint relays. Martin turned in a phenomenal performance on the final leg to hand the Spectacular Sprinters their first defeat of the season.

Harvard's Rick Melvoin took first in the 440 over Yale's Bob Inmann. Melvoin ran the distance in 50.0, while Inmann covered it in 50.4. Crimson Mercurian John Keating took third.

In the field vents, Harvard won a first in the shot put as Joe Naughton paced the field. The Crimson's Ed Nosal and Teddy DeMars took 1-2 in the hammer while Bill Bihrle captured first in the high jump.

Pappy Hunt's Freshmen beat Yale's Old Campus men 96-44.