Raquetmen Romp in Interschols Washauer Wins Singles, Doubles

The Harvard tennis team completely dominated the New England Interscholastics at Williams over the weekend, taking five of the six division championships.

The Crimson successfully defended their 1969 title by winning 43 team points. Williams was second with 33, and Dartmouth was third with 32.

Captain Bill Washauer, seeded first in "A" singles, beat teammate Joe Cavanagh, 6-3. 6-4 in the finals. But Washaner was nearly beaten by Chris Warner for the second time this season. Washauer finally won his semifinal match against Warner with a 5-2 tie-breaker in the third set, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6.

In the "B" singles, first-seeded Randy Barnett and fourth-seeded Bill Brock ripped through their opponents before meeting each other in the finals, which Barnett won, 6-4, 7-5.

In "C" singles, Tom Loring was upset in the third round, but Peter Briggs defeated Phil St. Georges of Yale in the finals, 6-3, 6-3.

Since all three of Harvard's doubles teams have only been together for two weeks, none of them were seeded. Washauer and Cavanagh won the "A" division by beating another unseeded team, Brian williams and George Jacoby of Dartmouth, 6-2, 6-4, in the finals.

Loring and Barnett were beaten in the "B" semi-finals by Pike Talbert, and Warner of Williams-who later won the division. Briggs and Brock defeated Glen Bicknell and John Ahearn of Amherst, 6-2, 6-3, to take the "C" division doubles title.