Courtmen Manhandle Indians, 7-2

Barnaby Confident of Victory Over Yale

The Harvard tennis team fought off over-confidence and gusty winds yesterday to roll to a surprisingly easy 7-2 win over Dartmouth at the Soldiers' Field courts. The Crimson took five out of six singles.

Dartmouth's big gun, Lloyd Ukco, was playing for the first time in two weeks and was no match for New England singles and doubles champion, Bill Washauer. Washauer picked up right where he left off in the Intercollegiates at Williams and bested Ukco, 6-1, 6-0.

Joe Cavanagh once again had trouble getting started, but he breezed through the last two sets to beat Brian Williams, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1. Randy Barnett beat George Jacoby at number three, 6-3, 6-1; Bill Brock disposed of Bob Vane at four, 6-4, 6-2; and Peter Briggs topped Bill Kellogg at six, 6-3, 6-1.

Harvard's final two points came at first and third doubles. Washauer and Cavanagh beat Ukco and Williams, who won the ECAC doubles last fall, 6-2, 6-3, and Brock and Briggs had to go three sets to beat Kellogg and Mark Harty, 6-2, 6-7, 6-2.

Tom Loring had a bad day and lost both his singles and doubles matches. "Tom was having trouble lobbing in the wind in singles. His opponent was able to stay at net and was volleying like a demon," coach Jack Barnaby said. It still took Dartmouth's captain Justin Stanley three sets to beat Loring, 4-6, 7-6, 6-3.

Loring and Barnett lost to Jacoby and Stanley at second doubles, 6-1, 6-4.

"I was very pleased to see the team get over the natural let-down after the Interscholastics. Yale will be tough on Saturday: they beat Penn, 6-3. But if the team plays like it did today, we won't have any trouble winning," Barnaby said.

Harvard is now 6-2 in EITA play and a win against Yale would assure at least a tie for second.