Crimson Shells Terriers To End Regular Season

Two weeks ago, B.U. pitcher Roger Rogdowski was looking forward to the forthcoming Harvard game with guarded optimism. "We should be able to shut them out," he said at the time, "and I could be the one to do it."

Yesterday at Soldier's Field Rogdowski fulfilled his prediction to shut out Harvard for one whole inning. Unfortunately, the Crimson wheeled out the guns in the second, and before the inning was over, Rogdowski was shelled for six runs and Harvard was on its way to a lopsided win, 14-5, over the Terriers.

The win ended the Crimson's Greater Boston League season with an unblemished 7-0 record and the league's championship. Harvard placed five men on the GBL all-star team: Pete Varney was named the league's most valuable player. Vince McGugan, Dan DeMichele, Art Serrano, and Crimson pitcher J. C. Nickens were the other players.

In yesterday's game, Mike Thomas led off the deluge with a double, the first of two for the day which gave him a new Harvard record of 12 doubles in a season. Art Serrano singled him across. Vince McGugan and Dave Ignacio walked, and three straight, hits brought five more runs across.

Reserves Played

The Crimson added runs in the next five innings and had a 12-0 lead going into the seventh. Run scoring hits by DeMichele, Thomas, and Smith keyed the Harvard attack. At this point coach Loyal Park began to substitute freely and the reserves played the rest of the game.

The Terriers staged a small revanche in the seventh inning off the third Crimson pitcher. Sandy Weissent. B.U. scored all five of their runs off Weissent in this frame, but Nickens came on to choke off the Terrier threat. Harvard used five pitchers during the game. Phil Collins, who pitched the first five innings, got the win.

Although the district selection committee will not decide until this evening on the play-off pairings, informed sources foresee a three-game series pitting Harvard against UMass over the Memorial Day weekend. The winner will play in the NCAA tournament championships June 11-17 in Omaha, Nebraska.