Straus Race Nears End; Winthrop Clings to Lead

The winner of the Straus Cup will not be officially known until Thursday morning when the athletic secretaries of Winthrop and Quincy sit down with intramural director Floyd Wilson to discus final point totals, but it appears that Winthrop House will retain the coveted trophy.

Neither Rick Barton of Quincy nor Joe Stiles of Winthrop-athletic secretaries of their respective Houses-wished to say with certainty which House would come out on top. "However," Barton said, "I don't see Quincy winning it outright. If it's close enough, Floyd may call it a tie. So few points difference after a year's work-it's incredible."

Barton estimated that Winthrop would win the cup by ten or 20 points, while Stiles speculated that the difference would be between five and ten points.

There is only one official event left on the intramural schedule-Tuesday afternoon's baseball tourney final between Quincy and Adams. "It's an important game, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it could put Quincy past us." Stiles said.

If Winthrop does indeed pull out the Strans Cup, it will mean they have with-stood one of the most torrid spring stretch drives in history.

Winthrop has seen its 38.7-point lead after winter competition dwindle to less than 20 points, as Quincy won the tennis league, finished second in golf, wound up second in the softball tournament, and reached the finals of the baseball tourney.

Winthrop hasn't done so badly itself, finishing second in last week's crew finale, nabbing first place in golf and taking third in the softball tournament.

Barton attributed Quincy's success this spring to a great bunch of sophomores and to seniors who have been turning out since finishing their theses. "And having girls in the House has strangely made us more sports-conscious than ever," Parton added.