The Mail THE HARRISBURG EIGHT

By Rev. RICHARD B. griffin and O. R. P.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We, members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Catholic community, wish to go on record as supporting Father Philip Berrigan and the others who were recently indicted on charges of conspiracy. According to traditional American norms, the alleged conspirators are innocent unless and until they can be proven guilty. They deserve the support of all fair minded people in the effort to prove themselves innocent.

The accusations against our brothers and sisters cause us special concern because we see the charges as an effort to discredit the Peace Movement in this country. For those of us who would look to our federal officials for leadership and an example that the law has been used for harassment and defamation of character, not only of the defendants but of all those who have shared their goals and ideals, causes severe pain. Our conviction is that the accused have already proven themselves true patriots by their commitment to peace-making.

Our solidarity with the accused is also based on our respect for them as Christians dedicated to non-violence. From the heroic leadership which they have given the peace movement in this country, we have drawn inspiration. The charges made against them imply that they have planned actions which are foreign to their declared ideals. We believe them innocent.

Finally we call upon the leaders of the Catholic community in the United States to give support to these heroes of peace. In our eyes, it is the duty of bishops, parish councils, priests' senates, and other Catholic leaders and organizations to rally to the side of brothers and sisters in trouble. We urge generous contributions to the defense fund currently being set up. The Gospel demands of us all that we dare take a stand when justice and peace are at stake.