Twelve Crimson Trackmen Competing in IC4A Meet

By E. J. Dionne

Twelve members of the Harvard track team will compete today and tomorrow in the IC4A meet at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. Today is events begin at 1 p. m.

"We aren't really a contender for the team championship." field coach Ed Stowell said Wednesday night. "I imagine Villanova will be favored. Penn will be in the top three." Stowell is making the trip with the team.

This afternoon's events will generally be confined to trials. However, finals will take place in the javelin, hammer and six-mile run.

Second in Heps

Harvard's Richie Szaro, who came in second in the Heptagonals at Franklin Field two weeks ago, will be throwing the javelin. Ed Nosal will hurl the hammer and Marshall Jones will run the six-mile.

Among the other Harvard competitors are Ed Baskauskus and Bill Bihrle in the high jump, Ed Dugger in the intermediate hurdles, and Walter Johnson in the high hurdles.

Supermile

Harvard's Tom Spengler may have a chance to compete against Villanova's Marty Liquori, winner of the Supermile race over Jim Rynn. "Tom hasn't run the qualifying standard, but he's certainly capable of it." Stowell said. He said that Harvard's head coach Bill McCurdy is appealing the rule requiring a qualifying time and requesting that Spengler be permitted to run.

If the committee rules unfavorably. Spengler, who placed third in the Heps two-mile, will run in the three-mile along with the Crimson's Jeff Brokaw.

Triple jumper Howie Corwin will be competing on Saturday. Corwin took fifth in the indoor IC4AS at Princeton last March and won second in the Heps. Dave Elliott and Bob Clayton, who took 1-2 in the Heps, will be running again in the half-mile.

Same Time, Same Place

Tomorrow's competition will also begin at 1 p. m.

Approximately 70 schools belong to the IC4A. Athletes in this weekend's meet represent colleges from throughout the Northeast.