Radcliffe Netters Beat Pine Manor

Radcliffe's tennis team won a close 3-2 victory over Pine Manor Junior College here yesterday, in the team's third match of the season.

Sophomore Meg Morgan of Radcliffe outplayed Abie Smith at first singles in a 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 match. Morgan, once a student of Harvard varsity coach Jack Barnaby, fell off her game temporarily in the second set but recovered for a quick victory in the third.

In the final, clinching match of the day, Ellen Rouse outsteadied her opponent. Jeremy Austin, 6-1, 6-4 at third singles.

Radcliffe's Joy Skon had trouble at second singles with Peggy Albaegh, who beat her 6-3, 6-3.

In the first doubles position. Penny Moorhead and Claire Stuart played a close but losing 7-5, 6-4 match against the strong Pine Manor team of Joanie Nasher and Sally Ellis.

Kathy Day and Terry Steiner defeated Missy Lindsay and Jane Rosenthal 6-3, 6-3 at second doubles.

The team faces strong competition at all positions in Saturday's all-day invitational tournament. Of the eight schools, Yale and Wellesley appear to be the leading contenders for the trophy, with strong singles and doubles teams. Wellesley's Malo Paul, this year's Northeast collegiate champion, will give Meg Morgan a tough singles competition, as will Barnard's Nancy Lewis.