Harriers Face Huskies; Seven Veterans Ailing

By E.j. Dionne

You're the coach. Here's your problem: You have seven returning lettermen. And all seven are at less than full strength.

That's what cross country head coach Bill McCurdy is facing at 4 p.m. today in a meet against Northeastern at Franklin Park.

Of the seven veterans, three are definitely unable to compete today, and another is a very doubtful starter. The three returnees who will be able to run today, also have been ailing.

But the Crimson is still expected to win.

The three who are out for sure are George Barker, Jeff Brokaw, and Mark Connolly. Barker and Brokaw have been unable to practice because of their injuries, and Connolly, who underwent foot surgery last year, is just starting regular workouts.

The question mark is Bobby Seals, who is suffering from a leg injury.

Captain Mike Koerner will lead the harriers despite a foot injury which has bothered him for some time. Koerner lettered in cross country as a sophomore, but missed the entire season last year because of the injury, which also has bothered him periodically during pre-season training.

One of Two

A new Crimson arrival, sophomore Rick Rojas, broke all pre-season records at the team's training camp. But sophomore Andy Campbell, with whom Rojas fought for first place on the freshman team all last season, is out with a knee injury.

Dorchester's John Quirk, one of the injured veterans, will run despite a leg injury. Also competing today is Tom New, a letterman recovering from a bout last month with pneumonia.

Hope

Despite the team's difficulties, McCurdy remains hopeful. "Injuries will make it tough for us early in the season," he said last week. "But if we get our key runners back before too long, I think we can still enjoy an outstanding year."

Today's meet carries special importance for McCurdy. A Crimson win would mark McCurdy's 150th cross country victory. In 20 seasons at Harvard, he has lost only 20 meets.

But associate coach Ed Stowell also was confident last night about the meet. "We still ought to be all right," he said. "Rojas, Koerner, and Marshall Jones will be our top three. They should be able to beat Northeastern. And we'll have enough depth with New, Quirk, and Jerry Hines."

Northeastern's top man is sophomore Ed Butterworth. Butterworth, who performed well last year, ran first in the Huskies' meet against New Hampshire last week. Northeastern won the meet with a perfect score.