Mermaids Host Five Schools And Take Invitational at IAB

The Radcliffe swimming team took the tenth annual Radcliffe Invitational on Saturday, winning nine first places in thirteen events. For the first time, Radcliffe hosted its five opponents at the IAB.

The mermaids, who have not lost the meet since 1965, finished with 88 points, followed by Wheaton with 72, Brandeis with 54, Brown with 42, Northeastern with 36, and Wellesley with 34.

Butterfly

Connie Cervilla--who was sixth in the nationals last year--swam her specialty, the 100 meter butterfly, in an impressive 1:08.

The performance of the team, which lacked a formidable diver last year, was enhanced by freshman Nancy Sato, who also won the 50 meter freestyle.

Captain Roann Costin took the 100 and 200 meter freestyles. She was joined by teammates Jean Sinnott, Cervilla and Sato in capturing the 200 medley and 200 freestyle relays.

In the Invitational, each school was permitted to enter only one diver and each individual could swim in no more than four events including relays.

The meet represented the only serious competition for Radcliffe before she goes to the New England Tournament scheduled for January 29 at Middlebury College.

"We hope that the pressures of reading period will not affect our performance at the meet." Costin said yesterday. "Although we lost two seniors who went to the nationals with us last year, the team looks in good shape. The team's strength is based on strong individual performances."

With the nationals moved up to mid-March, a month earlier than last year. Costin expressed hope that the team will reach its peak early in the season.