PARKING IN THE WRONG SPOT

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The Crimson's article of November 19 on parking triggered many inquiries to the Parking Office concerning rules and regulations applicable to undergraduate parking. In response, I forwarded to all house Masters copies of the regulations for review by interested students. While they last, copies may be obtained from the Harvard Police. Also, many thousands of these regulations were distributed at registration time in September and perhaps still are in the possession of students for review purposes. Four basic points are stressed.

Students should keep in mind that all students vehicles being driven in and around Harvard must be registered with the Harvard Police whether or not a parking permit is purchased. Unregistered cars are subject to a $25 fine. In some instances, as many students are belatedly discovering, parking violation tickets have been issued against these vehicles during the period ownership is being determined by the Police. So, by the time the student is contacted by the Police, he perhaps has incurred the basic $25 fine plus another thirty to forty dollars in fines to be places on his term bill.

After an undergraduate has picked up five tickets, the Police notify the Dean's Office, which then contacts the student. Assuming he continues to obtain tickets until they number ten, the Dean's Office turns the matter over to the Administrative Board for disciplinary handling.

Students driving out of state vehicles should be aware of regulations issued by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. These bear mainly on sufficient insurance coverage for the vehicle. Unless the registrant answers yes on the registration form to three specific questions on insurance coverage, thereby guranteeing sufficient coverage, the Harvard Police will not issue him the blue registration sticker provided by the Registry. A find of fifty dollars accrues to any student falsifying the registration form. A fine of $100 accrues to an educational institution failing to comply with state regulations on this topic. James T. Sullivan   Parking Commissioner