Negotiator Foresees No Strike Today

Edward W. Powers, associate director of personnel and the University's chief negotiator, said last night that there would be no strike today by the Crafts Maintenance Council, which represents 350 University employees.

Powers said that "progress had been made" in the contract dispute which came to a head last week. He said that negotiations would resume next Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Crafts Council confirmed reports that as of last night no strike had been called for. He said that the Council would make a public statement on the status of the negotiations this morning.

John Butler, director of personnel, said yesterday that there was nothing unusual going on in the negotiations and that he did not expect a strike.

"Just the fact that both sides are still negotiating at this point indicates to me that progress is being made," Butler said.

Today is the end of a 30 day grace period during which employees could not legally strike. The grace period follows the University's receipt of a written notice from the Crafts Council, terminating the contract agreement.