Squash Team Crushes Williams 9-0; Squad Retains Unblemished Record

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard demonstrated its domination of collegiate squash Saturday when it romped to a 9-0 sweep of Williams on the Ephmen's courts. None of the matches went to five games as the Crimson won its fifth consecutive contest of the season.

"It wasn't a very challenging match," captain Dave Fish said. "But the results keep us optimistic for the 'other' match of the year." The 'other' match that is constantly on everyone's mind is the February meeting between undefeated Harvard and Penn.

Overconfidence Avoided

The Crimson has successfully avoided overconfidence. Coach Jack Barnaby recently distributed a letter to the team that warned that a cocky Harvard squad could suffer an upset or letdown, as Penn did last year.

The most exciting victory of the match came at number one where junior Peter Briggs had little difficulty whipping William's Ty Griffin, 15-9, 15-9, 15-12. Griffin made it to the semifinals of the intercollegiates last year.

At number two. Fish easily defeated Bill Simon, 15-12, 15-10, 9-15, 15-6. Fish said his sore elbow didn't bother him. "I've changed my style somewhat to a lobbing game," Fish said. "Some college players have never seen that approach and are lulled into letting up."

Andy Weigand passed Dan Gordon in a challenge match Friday and won at his new position, three, 14-17, 15-9, 15-7, 15-5. Gordon also prevailed at four, 15-9, 15-7, 15-7.

Harvard's experienced depth was too much for Williams at the bottom of the ladder. Alan Quasha took three straight games at five, 15-7, 15-7, 15-11, as did Neil Vosters at seven, 15-8, 15-12, 15-13. Senior Lowell Pratt dropped his first game at six but came back to win, 15-17, 15-5, 15-10, 15-0.

Crimson sophomores Archie Gwathmey and Glen Whitman completed the sweep. Gwathmey also lost the opening game but had little trouble after that, taking the point, 15-17, 15-9, 15-6, 15-8.

Whitman built the most lopsided victory of the day at number nine, smothering his opposition, 15-7, 15-1, 15-7.

The Crimson will not play again until February 5, when the match with Amherst will be replayed. The original contest with the Lord Jeffs was postponed when the Amherst squad became ill from inhaling the fumes of freshly painted courts