Sextet Coasts Over Huskies, 5-2, Desmond Picks up Two for Crimson

By Evan W. Thomas

Harvard's hockey team skated to an unimpressive 5-2 victory over Northeastern last night. Recovering slightly from last Saturday's debacle at UNH, the Crimson skated sluggishly for most of the game, but picked up for a stretch in the third period with two quick goals.

Harvard's Local Line was off, rendering the power play impotent for most of the game, but some of the lesser stars on the team Larry Desmond, Harry Reynolds, and Bob Muse

Harvard's Local Line was off, rendering the power play impotent for most of the game, but some of the lesser stars on the team--Larry Desmond, Harry Reynolds, and Bob Muse--made up for it by scoring four of the team's five goals.

After pressing Northeastern in the first five minutes, the Crimson cooled off until 16:50, when third-liner Harry Reynolds gave Harvard a 1-0 lead. Picking a deflected slapshot up off the boards, Reynolds drilled the puck past Huskie goal-tender Dan Eberly, with assists going to Bob Havern and Mark Noonan.

Harvard jumped to its second goal after only 11 seconds of the second period, as Desmond flew down the left wing and fired home a 30-foot slapshot. The Crimson soon slowed to a crawl, however, and Northeastern narrowed the gap at 4:08. Alan Gunkle made it 2-1, dekeing out Harvard goalie Joe Bertagna on a breakaway.

The referees started handing out penalties to Northeastern midway through the period, but Harvard's weak power play could not capitalize on four Northeastern penalties in a row. The Crimson did pick up a freak goal late in the period, however, as Desmond tipped a slow Andy Burns shot off a Northeastern player and into the net.

Finally

The power play finally connected at 7:38 of the period, with Billy Corkery getting the goal on a tip-in from Bob McManama and Dave Hynes. Harvard coach Billy Cleary used the comfortable 4-1 lead as a chance to give sparingly used defensemen Bob Muse and Dave Hands a chance, and the duo responded with a power play goal that saw Muse move in and blast home a 35-footer.