University Press Appoints Hall as Director

The Governing Boards of the University have appointed George A. Hall '48, vice president and treasurer of Little, Brown and Co., to be a director of the Harvard University Press.

Hall is the first person not a Harvard Faculty member or administrator to be appointed as director since the Board of Directors of the Press was established in 1947.

Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for Administration, said yesterday that George Hall "will bring to the Board a certain expertise in the publishing field."

The University Press, which lost about $500,000 last year, faces serious financial problems.

"I would like to learn what the problems are, and help in the various aspects of the Press," George Hall said yesterday. "The general condition of the Press is very tough right now," he added.

'An Arm and A Leg'

Stephen Hall said that Harvard was not interested in having the Press turn a profit, but that "we also have no desire to lose an arm and a leg."

"We would like to break even, but in doing that, we don't want to jeopardize our ability to publish scholarly works," he said.

Three Harvard professors were re-appointed to four-year terms as directors. They are Archibald Cox '34, Williston Professor of Law; Oscar Handlin, Warren Professor of American History; and Bertrand Fox, Schiff Professor of Investment Banking.

Three other men serve as directors ex officio, Stephen S.J. Hall becomes a director ex officio with Merie Fainsod, Pforzheimer University Professor and director of the University Library, and Mark S. Carroll '50, director of the Press.