McManama Nets Hat Trick As Icemen Rout Larries, 7-1

Local Line Scores Three On One Shift

By Eric Pope

The Harvard hockey team skated into the exam period break in style last night by pouring in four goals in the third period to rout St. Lawrence, 7-1. Junior Bobby McManama led the scoring parade with his second hat trick of the season.

Before meeting Harvard. The Larries had not lost a game by more than two goals, and their two victories over Clarkson made their hopes for an upset far from unrealistic.

"I was a little worried in the first period," coach Bill Cleary said after the game. "Our guys have their minds on exams, and it is understandable that they've been a little flat lately. But when we skate like we did in the third period, there aren't too many teams that can keep up with us."

First Blood

After a scoreless first period in which both teams put together numerous scoring threats, the Local Line scored the first of their five goals at 2:39 in the second period. With a St. Lawrence defenseman all over him. Dave Hines started the play with a one-handed pass to Bill Corkery, who drew the goalie to one side before sliding the puck across the crease for Bobby McManama to tip in.

The only St. Lawrence goal came two minutes later when an attempted pass from behind the cage bounced off of a defenseman's skate. But the turning point of the game came soon afterwards when a St. Lawrence defenseman earned himself a five minute major penalty for drawing blood on Bob Havern. Harvard's power play was sluggish, but McManama finally capitalized with a slap shot from just inside the blue line.

After that St. Lawrence was unable to break the Crimson's momentum, and goalie Joe Bertagna had only twelve saves to his credit when he was replaced by Steve Perry with five minutes left in the game.

Harvard's insurance goal came in the waning minutes of the second period when Bobby Havern passed back to the far-side point, Kevin Hampe. The sophomore defenseman skated in and snapped a wrist shot into the upper right corner for the first goal of his varsity career.

The St. Lawrence goalie, Alan Howes, had kept his team in the game with some brilliant saves, but in the third period his defense gave up, and he would have needed a fishing net to have stopped the barrage of Crimson breakaways and point blank shots.

The first line had been missing by inches all night, and they finally scored on an outstanding individual effort by captain Tommy Paul. After stealing the puck, Paul eluded two Larries before sending a perfect pass into the middle from behind the cage. Sophomore Bob Goodenow was there for his eighth goal of the season.

The Local Line produced Harvard's final three goals on one shift midway through the final period. Corkery set up the first by deking the goalie to his knees before passing to Hynes who was all alone in front of the open net.

Corkery was finally rewarded for his playmaking on a three-on-two rush just seconds later. Corkery had hit the post at the start of the game after skating right by three Larries, but this time a pass from McManama put him past the defenseman and he beat Howes with a shot to the short side.

McManama picked up his hat trick when a perfect pass from Dave Hands gave him a breakaway. The four goal barrage gave Harvard a total of twenty-five third period goals. Their opponents hair only eight.

The Crimson's ace penalty killers, Dave Cavanagh and Jay Riley, shut out the Larries in four short-handed situations, and on the last one Riley had two near goals.

The victory re-established the Crimson as the team to beat in the East. "The ECAC is much more balanced this year," captain Paul said. "An nobody is going to run away with it this year--unless it's us.