Mitchell Breaks Old Record in 1000; Swimmers Drown Springfield, 74-39

By Terry Straus

In a meet highlighted by Fred Mitchell's record-shattering 1000 yd. freestyle and Dave Brumwell's two firsts and a second, the Harvard swimming team floated to an easy 74-39 win over Springfield last night at the IAB.

Mitchell, who already owns Harvard records in the 500 and 200 yd. freestyle, swam the 1000 in a very fast 9.53. In a pre-season meet, he also went under the ten minute mark, but had to wait until tonight to officially break that barrier. His time also represents the second fastest time in the nation this year, with only Princeton's Curtis Haydon posting a slightly better mark.

Asked to comment about his record, Mitchell would say only that he began tasting his training meal halfway through the race, and he was amazed by "all this attention."

Never in Doubt

The outcome of the meet was never in doubt as Harvard took 7 out of 9 swimming events en route to its fourth win against one loss. Although Mitchell's performance over-shadowed the rest of the evening, several other Harvard swimmers turned in good performances.

Freshman Dave Brumwell, who appears headed towards capturing the award for the highest point total, took firsts in both the 200 yd. I.M. and the 200 yd. back, and added a second in the 200 yd. free. Pete Mikhalevsky continued to shave time off his 200 yd. breast stroke as he won for the second week in a row with a good time of 2:19.5.

In the 500 yd. Freestyle, Jim Davis, swimming even with his man the entire race, pulled ahead in the final lap to win in the time of 5:23, while John Zakotnick turned in a good performance in the 3 meter dive, taking a second.