Harvard Polo Club to Meet Yale Saturday

The Harvard Polo Club will travel to Yale this Saturday in search of its first victory of the 1972 season.

The club, sporting an 0-3 record, suffered a 20-8 defeat to Yale earlier this season. Other losses were to Cornell and the touring British Pony Club.

Although polo has been a traditional game at Harvard throughout the years, the current polo club was formed only four years ago. Polo faded out in the fifties but was reorganized in 1968 when 12 polo ponies were donated to Harvard.

The club has 12 members, three of which comprise the varsity team. The varsity players are Jules Romfh. Howie Corcoran, and Joe O'Connor. Coach of the team is Mike Andrews, a professor at the University of New Hampshire, who commutes twice weekly for practices.

The club's home is Hamilton where it uses the facilities of the Flying Horse Riding Club. Intercollegiate polo is played indoors, and the Harvard club uses the large indoor arena of the Flying Horse club.

The polo team will continue to play matches every Saturday until March, when the national intercollegiate tournament begins.

The Harvard Polo Club is one of only five college polo clubs in the country, The other schools, besides Yale, are Cornell. University of Virginia, and University of Connecticut.