Board of Directors Oversees Freshman Union Improvements

Harvard is spending $22,000 to begin renovating the Freshman Union. The Board of Directors of the Union, composed of four administrators, is overseeing the renovation.

Stephen S.J. Hall, vice-president for Administration and a Board member, said yesterday that in addition to the initial grant, about $8000 will come from other funds. Harvard Food Services will also contribute to the renovation.

"No other allocation of funds will be affected by the allocation to the Union," Hall said. "It is hoped that the Union will ultimately become self-supporting through the use of revenues gained by special events, space rental and game charges."

Renovation of the entire first floor including new lighting and painting has already begun. Carpeting will also be installed.

Second floor improvements include the installation of pin ball machines, foosball games and a juke box. A pool hall on the second floor opened yesterday.

Full kitchen facilities, including a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and sewing machine, will be installed. Music practice rooms, a TV room with a color television, meeting rooms and classrooms are also being planned for the second floor.