The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

CHUL Passes Plan to Allow Room Painting

Students will soon be allowed to paint their dormitory rooms with equipment and paints supplied to them free by the Department of Buildings and Grounds.

The plan, which was worked out by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL), will take effect within the next two weeks, Robert Kutner '73, Eliot House representative to the CHUL, said yesterday.

$25 for Bad Job

Under the new proposal, students will be given paint and equipment on loan for one week. Those failing to return the equipment or completing defective jobs will be charged $25 on their term bill; otherwise the paints and equipment are supplied free.

Until now, room painting by students has been prohibited by the Department of Buildings and Grounds which painted rooms once every twelve years. Many students, however, have ignored these rules and painted their rooms at their own cost and risk.

Kutner conceived of and proposed the painting plan to the CHUL last Spring. It received unanimous final approval at a CHUL meeting last Wednesday after Administration and Buildings and Grounds officials reacted favorably to it, and offered to supply the paint and equipment at no charge.

Ten Conservative Colors

Kutner and Buildings and Grounds officials selected ten colors from which students can choose. The colors are basically conservative, in consideration of possible objections to loud colors by future room occupants, Kutner said.

They include light and dark shades of blue, green, yellow, and orange, along with tan and white. Students will not be allowed to paint patterns, but will be permitted to alternate colors on different walls.