The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Helfand Faces Trespass Trial Today; Administration Will Not Prosecute

By Daniel Swanson

A former Harvard student who was separated from the University in 1971 will be tried in Cambridge District Court today for one charge of criminal trespassing, although the Administration says it does not want to proceed with the trial.

Ira D. Helfand '71 is charged by the Administration with trespassing for his alleged part in an antiwar sit-in at the Littauer Center May 10. Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday that he had written to a Middlesex County assistant district attorney explaining that "there was no necessity to proceed with a trial."

Steiner said the Administration is satisfied with the results of last week's trial, in which Helfand was convicted of three other counts of trespassing and prohibited by a Lowell Superior Court Judge from entering Harvard buildings or grounds.

"We don't see the necessity of carrying the matter any further," Steiner said. "But it is out of our hands and up to the judge."

He added that the "University's opinions will be of some interest to the Court."

Helfand last week pleaded guilty to the other three charges and was fined $200, sentenced to a 30-day suspended jail term, and placed on probation until June 1973. One of the conditions of the probation is that he remain off Harvard property unless he has official business with the University.

Helfand was separated from the University in June 1971. At that time, he was prohibited from entering Harvard buildings or grounds, a stipulation he allegedly violated in the Littauer case.