The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Senator McGovern Rules Out Speech At Football Field

A student who unsuccessfully tried to organize a fundraiser for Senator George McGovern (D.S.D.) in Harvard Stadium this summer said yesterday that the South Dakotan would not appear on campus when he is in Boston on Wednesday.

Richard H. Lyon '75 said yesterday that he was "disappointed with the decisions. But I understand why the Washington and Massachusetts people acted as they did."

Lyon approached the Administration this summer about the possibility of holding a fundraising concert for McGovern in Harvard Stadium. Charles U. Daly, vice-president for Government and Community Relations, wrote to Lyon that allowing the event could jeopardize Harvard's status as a tax-exempt institution. He said that McGovern could hold a rally in the stadium provided he did not try to raise money.

Dorothy W. Lyon, special assistant to the chairperson of the Democratic National Committee, said yesterday that when the matter came to her attention she did not recommend that McGovern appear at Harvard.

"While I'd like to help my son Rick, I had to weigh the political considerations. Right now we are only scheduling McGovern in areas where we feel there are undecided voters, and Harvard isn't one of those places," Dorothy Lyon said.

She added that even if the rally were successful, McGovern would look bad in the media. "What we don't need at this point are white ethnics seeing McGovern associated with the Eastern Liberal Establishment," she said.