General Assembly's President Sees Both Germanies in U.N.

Stanislaw Trepczynski, the president of the General Assembly of the United Nations, predicted yesterday in a speech at Winthrop House that both East and West Germany will be admitted as separate and equal members of the United Nations within the next year.

This achievement will be possible, Trepczynki said, because of recent agreements on border disputes and other diplomatic questions between West Germany and East Germany and between West Germany and Poland.

"The double admission is now part of the logic of intra-European relations," Trepczynski said. "I don't think that the reunification of Germany is feasible in the lifetime of our generation."

Trepczynski explained that resolving the German problem is essential to European detente. "Two world wars and much postwar tension began on German soil," he said.

Trepczynski proffered European detente as a model of relations for other troubled areas of the world. He warned, however, that Europe could not maintain its peace in isolation from the rest of the world. "Wars in Vietnam and in the Middle East must have their effect on Europe." Trepczynski said.

Trepczynski made his remarks at a small gathering sponsored by the Center for International Affairs and the Institute of Politics.

Trepczynski is the Deputy Foreign Minister of Poland and a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Poland. He was elected President of the General Assembly last month.