Crimson Rugby Club Falters; Cornell, Beacon Hill Triumph

A lopsided 35-0 loss to the Cornell Rugby Club last Saturday and an 18-13 defeat at the hands of the Beacon Hill team the week before has dropped the record of the Harvard Rugby Club to a disappointing 1-3.

The Crimson clashed with Beacon Hill, a Boston group, at Harvard on October 14, with hopes of bettering their .500 average. Although the Harvard team kept possession of the ball for most of the game, they committed numerous offensive mistakes. In addition, the team continually argued with the referee and among themselves. As team member Bill Jemison said yesterday. "We beat ourselves from bitching."

The Crimson tallied its 13 points with two four-point tries, one two-point conversion, and one three-point field goal. Back Adrian Tew and a hard-working scrum accounted for the two four-pointers.

Beacon Hill scored its final total on one try, following an interception, as well as one extra-point, and four field goals. Commenting on the large proportion of points Beacon Hill scored by kicking, Jemison said, "They didn't run over us--they kicked over us."

The Harvard B team also lost to the Beacon Hill B group, 10-6, while the C team chalked up the only victory with a shutout, 12-0.

The rugby club met disaster in the Cornell game, played in New York City on October 21. The Crimson ranks, thinned out by "short notice of the game, law boards, and apathy," as Jemison said, played very poorly. "They destroyed us," club president Sandy Robertson said yesterday.

The Crimson--forced to fill defensive positions with players from the line--could not mount a serious offensive threat. Most of the game's action took place in the Crimson half of the field and was dominated by Cornell.

Armed with speedy wings, Cornell scored its 35 points on one penalty kick, six tries, and four extra points.