Radcliffe Tennis Team Vanquishes Pine Manor, 5-0

Promising Warm-up

The Radcliffe tennis team aced the Pine Manor Junior College girls, 5-0, yesterday afternoon on Radcliffe's clay-courts, in a promising warm-up match for this weekend's New England Women's Intercollegiates at Yale.

Number one singles player Joy Skon, using a consistent cross-court game, outlasted Pine Manor's first, Marta Schaeffer, 6-3, 6-2. The Crimson number two player, Marcie Richmond, had to depend on her serve to defeat Toni Carton. Lissa Muscatine, who earlier in the afternoon had to defeat teammate Ingrid Sarapuu to play third singles, powered by Pine Manor's Karen Logar, 8-2.

Radcliffe's best doubles team, Sarah Stearns and Jill Robertson, had no problems with their opponents, Julie Clark and Ann Shoemaker. The second Crimson duo, Meg Morgan and Penny Morehead, needed little time to finish their match, shutting out Julie Wilson and Sally Lovell, 6-0, 6-0.

The Radcliffe tennis team plays most of its games during the spring, when they compete against the Seven Sister schools as well as Princeton, Yale, Brown, Cornell, and Dartmouth. The team's fall schedule includes only the Pine Manor match and the Intercollegiates.

Coach Perla M. Hewes uses the fall for "weeding out," she said yesterday, and so can avoid tryouts in the spring.

Hewes admitted that she is optimistic about this year's prospects. She points out two specific strengths--a large number of returnees from last year and greater depth. Only the second and third singles players are new at their positions; the others all played in the same places last year. Freshman Muscatine will provide the Crimson with a stronger overall lineup, Hewes said.

The Pine Manor team came into the Radcliffe match with 4-1 victories over LaSalle Junior College and Boston College, as well as a 3-3 tie with Brandeis. The Manor's coach Judy Bush said that she had lost some players to the Pine Manor field hockey team.