Bok, Galbraith May Contribute Guest Features to Newsweek

By Amanda Bennett

At least two prominent Harvard figures learned yesterday while reading morning papers that they were scheduled to write opinion features for Newsweek some time in the near future.

President Bok and John Kenneth Galbraith, Warburg Professor of Economics, were among 37 figures cited in a New York Times advertisement yesterday as guest writers for Newsweek's new "My Turn" column.

"They approached me some time last summer about the possibility of doing a feature of this sort, but this advertisement is the first thing I've heard about it since then." Bok said yesterday. He added that he had no real idea of what his topic would be, aside from "issues on higher education of general concern."

Daniel P. Moynihan, professor of Education and Urban Politics, who was also listed among the guest writers, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Galbraith said yesterday that he knew Osborn Elliott '46, the editor of Newsweek, and that he was writing the column as a favor to him.

"I don't know why the others were selected, but it couldn't have been on the basis of their writing ability," he said. Galbraith added that he did not know when his column would appear, what topic he would choose, or even if he was being paid for his work. "In a disastrous

A fire broke out in Greenough last night. All students were evacuated. There were no injuries. Firemen said that an electrical failure probably caused the fire, moment of aberration. I neglected to ask about compensation," he said.

Included in the series will be Leonard Bernstein '39, 1973 Charles Eliot Norton Lecturer: Kingman Brewster: Heywood Hale Broun: William F. Buckley, Jr.: Rev. Jesse L. Jackson: Roy Jenkins: Gloria Steinem and John D. Rockefeller, 3rd.