Kimbro Denied a Pardon at Hearing, Will Not Enter Ed School in Spring

By Douglas E. Schoen

A Connecticut pardon board last night refused to reduce the murder sentence of ex-Black Panther Warren Kimbro. Kimbro had been admitted to the Graduate School of Education for the 1972-1973 term, provided he were released from prison.

Francis H. Duehay '55 said yesterday that Kimbro would be eligible to attend the Spring session of the School if he were released before the Spring term. Kimbro was admitted to the School under a program that allows about 20 people who have no B.A. to enroll if their work in the community or in education shows unusual distinction.

Samuel Morgan a captain at Somers Reformatory in Connecticut where the pardon hearings were held, said last night that "Kimbro didn't get a cut" in sentence.

"As I see it, it is extremely unlikely that Kimbro would be released for the spring term." Morgan said.

Duehay said yesterday that Kimbro would still be eligible for admission to the Ed School in future years, but he would have to file a new application.

Kimbro went before the Connecticut Parole Board last summer in an attempt to get his sentence reduced. He said at that time that he should be given credit for 1106 days, representing time off for good behavior and time he spent in prison before he was sentenced. At that time, his request was denied.

Kimbro pleaded guilty two years ago to the murder of fellow party member Alex Rackley. Kimbro subsequently testified for the state and implicated Bobby Scale, chairman of the Black Panther Party, in the case.

The next meeting of the pardon board is scheduled for the spring and at that time, Kimbro can reapply for a sentence reduction.