Ward Proposes Amherst Co-Education To Begin With the Fall Term of 1974

Amherst President John William Ward has recommended to the College's Board of Trustees that Amherst admit women to its student body beginning with the 1974-1975 school year.

Ward called for co-education at a meeting of 500 applauding faculty and students in Amherst's Johnson Chapel yesterday. He read an 18-page report recommending that Amherst increase the size of its student body from its present level of 1250 to 1600 by admitting women transfer students in the Fall of 1974 and accepting women into the freshman class the following year.

Co-education has been under discussion at Amherst for the past five years. Ward set up a Select Committee on Co-education last year which issued a report in July outlining the pros and cons of admitting women.

Ward's Decision

Ward's decision was based in part on that report, and on questionaires filled out by students, faculty, alumni and parents in response to the Select Committee's findings.

Ward says in his report that the two-year delay before women are admitted is necessary in order to secure adequate women faculty and staff and to plan the details of the changeover.

"To do less than take the time and care would be an injustice to the women to whom Amherst offers admiasion," he says.