'Cliffe Sailing Team Splits In Two Weekend Regattas

By Peter A. Landry

The Radcliffe sailing team, led by Janice Stroud's flawless performance in B division races, outdistanced the field Saturday to capture an eight-school regatta on the Thames River course of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Stroud and her co-skipper Kathy Angell took three firsts in three races, despite blustery and difficult wind conditions. The regatta was raced in Beverly Dinghies.

Stroud's performance was solidly supported by A division skipper Barbie Grant (crewed by Ann Hoffner) who took a first, a second, and a third in three races.

MIT finished second in the regatta which also included teams from Yale, Jackson, Connecticut College, Newton College and Stonehill.

On Sunday the 'Cliffe squad raced again in the Captain's Cup Regatta at Jackson, which included the same teams as Saturday's competition except for the Yale and Conn College contingents.

For Radcliffe supporters, it was a bleak afternoon. Tricky wind conditions and a disqualification virtually wiped out Radcliffe's customarily strong performance in A division and a good showing in B racing wasn't enough to prevent not only MIT, but Jackson as well, from finishing ahead of the 'Cliffe sailors.

Right from the start, it was a bad day for the Radcliffe squad. Sailing in Lark sloops on the Mystic Lakes Course at Tufts, the 'Cliffe sailors couldn't seem to get untracked.

In A division action, Grant let the wind get the better of her in the first race of the afternoon. The A skipper, usually Radcliffe's most consistent performer, finished a disappointing sixth. The loss was typical of the luck that was to befall the 'Cliffe as the afternoon's action unfolded.

Grant, whose performance Sunday will not be remembered as one of her better efforts, came back from her opening round defeat to win her second race, but in the third and final contest, she missed a turn and was disqualified. The disqualification deprived Radcliffe of a first place finish and allowed local rivals MIT and Jackson to finish ahead of the Radcliffe team.

"The course is triangular, with one turn being at one end of the starting line," Grant said yesterday. "I just went around the wrong end of the starting line and was disqualified."

In B division action on Sunday, Stroud finished second in the two races she skippered, and Angell took a third in the sole contest she raced.