Crimson Shares Lead, Good Chance for Ivy Title

Harvard is now tied for the lead in the Ivy League with Dartmouth after battling to a 21-21 tie on a soggy Soldier's Field last Saturday. The Crimson's chances for securing at least a part of the Ivy title appear to be good, since the only contender it hasn't yet faced is once-defeated Yale.

The Elis, smarting from their loss to Cornell, must beat Dartmouth this weekend if they hope for a piece of the championship. Crimson head coach Joe Restic commented Monday that, "Yale's back is against the wall now."

He added that he was sure the Elis would be ready to slug it out with the Big Green on Saturday. "It'll probably be the toughest game Dartmouth will have this season," he added.

In last weekends second most important Ivy League confrontation, Cornell vaulted back into contention for the title by outplaying Yale, 42-13, as the Elis' modified wishbone offense fumbled the ball in the rain eight times, losing it five. Soccer player Bill Murray booted three out of three field goals to set the pace for the rampaging Ithacans.

The first of Murray's kicks was a six-yarder midway through the first period for the game's first score. Then he kicked a 29-yarder to advance the Big Red to a 6-0 lead in the opening seconds of the second quarter.

Yale tailed soon thereafter as they recovered a Cornell fumble and finally scored on a 26-yard touchdown dash by quick sophomore runner Ready Green. His run was perhaps the brightest spot in the game for the Elis, as their all-around performance was simply inferior to Cornell's.

Penn won its first league contest of the season as senior quarterback Gary Shue came off the bench in the third period to lead his team over winless Princeton, 15-10.

Princeton succeeded in blanking the Quakers, 10-0, until the end of the third period. Then Shue, a third-stringer, entered the game and directed Penn to score on a 56-yard drive which was capped by a one-yard plunge by Adolf Bellizeare.

He completed a conversion pass and later won the game in the final quarter with a 13-yard scoring toss to Tom Corbin.

Two Enough

Two field goals by John Peace were enough for Rutgers to defeat slumping Columbia, 6-3, in a non-league game in New York. Pesce set a school record for most field goals in a career as he raised his college total to 13.

Workhouse running back Jim Jennings also set school mark by carrying the ball 29 times for Rutgers, and in the final period he set up the winning field goal by grinding to the Lions' four-yard line on his 12th carry in a row. Columbia's lone score was a first quarter field goal by Paul Kaliades.

Brown was idle. Ivy League Football Standings   W  L  T HARVARD  2  0  1 Dartmouth  2  0  1 Cornell  2  1  0 Yale  2  1  0 Penn  1  2  0 Brown  1  2  0 Columbia  0  2  1 Princeton  0  2  1