Yardlings Escape Princeton With a Win, a Loss

Princeton Defeats Frosh Booters, 1-0

A physical Princeton freshman socoer team took advantage of a slippery field. Harvard's disorganization, and the expulsion of Crimson captain Jeff Hargadon to hang onto a first period goal and best the Yardling booters, 1-0, in a game marred by sloppy play by both squads.

Harvard, a team which relies heavily upon skillful passing execution, had difficulty playing its own game under the soggy weather conditions.

"We couldn't control the ball at all," said Dennis Kloske, a native of Madrid, who play inside right. "Our skills really broke down due to the slippery field and we had to lower our play to their (Princeton's) style."

The Tigers were clearly less skillful than Harvard, blowing five easy scoring opportunities in the game. Princeton's aggressive, shoving, tripping style of play was right at home in the mud, as a huge crowd watched the Tigers manhandle their way to an impasse with the frustrated Yardlings after their goal five minutes into the first half.

Captain Hargadon, the mainstay of Harvard's defease, was ejected in the middle of the first half for allegedly delivering an obscene to one of the referees.

Hargadon's absense compunded the teamwork problems of the struggling Crimson, as Harvard's attempt to mount's smooth attack proved fustle all morning