Manhattan Harriers Take IC4A Title

Harvard Finishes Seventh

By E.j. Dionne

Villaneva went to New York's Van Cortland Park yesterday asking for "one more year," They didn't get it.

Sterling performances by Mike McKeough and Teny Colen led Manhattan to an impressive 40-131 victory over second-place Villaneva to break the Wildents' six-year strangleheld on the Intercollegists Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) cross country title.

Keough, an Irish Olympics, two-time New York Metropolitan Champion had the Jaspers' captain, finished first and set a new IC4A record in 24-04. Colen took second, and Villaneva's John Hertnett, another fighting Irishman, finished third.

Harvard won seventh place with 189 points. The Crimson's hopes were dashed near the two-mile mark when Marshall Jones came down with stomach cramps and dry heaves and was forced to drop out of the race. "Without that bad break, we could have taken second," said Harvard coach Bill McCurdy.

Penn State finished third with 132 points, followed by Navy with 157. Penn was fifth at 160 and Princeton sixth at 180. Army finished behind Harvard in eighth place, far out of the running with 239 points.

Ric Rojas continued to give Harvard some cause for cheering, gaining sixth place in 24:30 and thus winning himself a spot in the IC4A championships.

Keough and Colen jumped out quickly and by the two-mile mark had built up a lead of about 15 yards on Rojas, who was then running third.

Rojas made his bid at the three-mile mark and took over the load, but by the time the runners reached Cemetery Hill after four miles, the two Jaspers runners had things well in hand.

At the four-and-a-half-mile mark on the five-mile course, Keough finally broke away from Colon, with whom he had been running for the whole meet. "I thought they had agreed to finish in a dead heat," commented a fan.

In the dogfight which developed for third place, Hartnett passed Rojas, who was also superceded by two Penn runners--Dennis Pikes, who finished fourth, and Bob Childs, who took fifth.

Harvard's second finisher was captain John Quirk, who took 30th place in 25:18. Also under 26:00 were Andy Campbell, who finished 33rd, and freshman Bill Durvette, who took 40th.

"Campbell and Durrette turned in their best performances yet," said McCurdy.

Jim Hughes and Carl Tsiginnis were Harvard's fifth and sixth man respectively. Both finished in the 90's.

Hartnett had been expected to be Keough's male competitor. The Villaneva helpful and the Manhattan champ had trained together in Ireland for the Olympics, and had taken turns in defeating each other in past meets. By besting Hartnett, Colon assured, the Jaspers of their overwhelming margin of victory.

The-weather in New York was perfect for running, and the Manhattan fans who lined the entire length of the course provided additional momentum for the runners.

Harvard did not come away from the meet empty-handed. The nine-and-one harriers managed to average their Greater Boston's loss to Northeastern, finishing far ahead of the Huskies.