Horner Inaugurated Sixth President; Urges Radcliffe to Maintain Identity

By Ann Juergens

Marina Souretis Horner was formally inaugurated yesterday as the sixth president of Radcliffe.

A crowd of approximately 300 guests--nearly all of them Radcliffe trustees, alumnae and students--attended the hour-long morning ceremony in Agassiz House.

Horner has held the office since July 1, when she succeeded former President Mary I. Bunting. Yesterday's inauguration officially noted the assumption of the president's duties by Horner at the closing of the Radcliffe Alumnae Council's biennial meeting.

Horner, 33, is the youngest president in Radcliffe's history. As a result of the 1971 "non-merger merger" contract with Harvard, she is also the first to be Dean of Radcliffe at Harvard as well as president of Radcliffe.

Simple Ceremony

The inaugural ceremony was simple, consisting of Horner's installation and a series of speeches.

After an invocation by Archbishop lakovos. Primate of the Greek Orthodox, Church of North and South America Lynn 'Y. Sakai, president of the Class of 1973, greeted the guests. She called for equal admissions and spoke strongly of Radcliffe's responsibility to protect and bolster her own identity.

Enthuslastic Crowd

Horner was then installed as president by Susan Storey Lyman, chairman of the Radcliffe Board of Trustees. She proceeded to give a speech which also stressed Radcliffe's need to retain an identity apart from that of Harvard. The crowd enthusiastically applauded her remarks.

She said that she had been tempted to take on the job of president "not in spite of but because of the unique nature of our present relationship with Harvard."

"Ours together is a unique experiment in education," she said, "in the possibility it provides--if only we take advantage of it--for identifying and bringing together the bent aspects of independent single sex and co-educational institutions."

Horner went on to speak of the changing problems of educating women, drawing on her own research on women's fear of success. She said that it is no longer enough to merely open doors to women because the challenges now are much more complex.

"Many of the issues at stake involved intangibles," she said. "We have a culture and an educational system that ostensibly encourage and prepare men and women identically for educational programs and careers which, evidence indicates, other social and psychological pressure really limit to men."

She named as one of her major tasks for the future the need "to counternet the tendency (of students) to withdraw from the mainstream of thought and achievement in our society."

At the champagne lunchroom after the inauguration President Bok warned against oversimplifying the issue of the relationship of Radcliffe and Harvard.

"To merge or not to merge is clearly not the question," he said. "It is likewise clear that the problem before us does not simply concern the admissions policies of our institution and the ratio of men and women on our campus."

Bok closed his speech by emphasizing that Radcliffe must determine her own future and adding words of praise many that had already been given to Horner during the day