Ex-President of Brazil Predicts Great Future for His Country

Juscelino Kubitschek, president of Brazil from 1956 to 1961, praised the advances made under his administration in Brazil, but declined to discuss politics yesterday in a speech at Boylston Auditorium before 150 people.

Kubitschek described the successes of his administration as "the construction of a new national capital, the industrialization of Brazil and the creation of an atmosphere of optimism, hope and faith in the democratic destiny of our nation."

The military regime now ruling Brazil has ordered Kubitschek not to become involved in Brazilian politics, John Womack Jr. '59, professor of History who introduced Kubitschek yesterday, said, "In the fifties I was an actor. Now I am a spectator," Kubitschek said.

Kubitschek also criticized the Johnson and Nixon administrations for their lack of interest in Brazil.

Members of the audience asked questions at the end of the speech, but were hampered by Kubitschek's difficulty speaking English. By the end of the questioning period, both Kubitschek and his questioners were speaking Brazil's national language, Portuguese, and the discussion was summarized by a translater.