Officials Call for New Measures To Quicken Aid in Emergencies

University officials have called for three new procedures to quicken emergency medical aid following the November 13 death of a student in an Economics class.

Dr. Warren E. C. Wacker, director of the University Health Services (UHS), and Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for Administration, ordered the development of a three-way hot-line phone system by which crisis news could be relayed instantaneously from the University Police to the UHS.

Hall ordered the printing of brightly colored posters which will be conspicuously placed around the University instructing a caller where to find the nearest telephone to dial the Harvard police.

In addition, Hall ordered the University-wide distribution of telephone stickers listing emergency numbers.

The procedures will be implemented in the near future. Robert Tonis, chief of the University Police, said yesterday. The posters and stickers are now being printed and the details of the phone system are being worked out by James T. O'Shea, telecommunications manager in the Department of Buildings and Grounds.

The actions come on the heal of charges of inefficiency in emergency medical aid that followed the death last week of Alfred T. Pickering Jr. '74.

At 9:55 a.m. Pickering began gasping for air in his Ec 1350 class. Theory and Financial Institutions." Harvard police officers tried to resuscitate the student before the arrival of a Cambridge medical unit. Pickering was pronounced dead by a UHS physician at 10:12 a.m