'Cliffe Defeats Yale in Field Hockey, Finishes Season With Record of 4-1-3

The Radcliffe field hockey team finished its season on a triumphant note, beating Yale, 5-3. Tuesday afternoon on the Radcliffe Quad field.

Despite the muddy condition of the field, which resulted in one minor injury and the loss of one goal when a player slipped. Radcliffe managed to maintain the lead throughout the game.

It was an attacking game for Radcliffe, most of the play taking place on the Radcliffe offensive half of the field. Each member of the forward line scored one goal.

Radcliffe left wing Kathy Agoos scored the first point, driving the ball into the corner of the goal Yale scored its first goal midway during the first 30-minute half when 'Cliffe goalie Barbie Matson misgauged the ball and slipped in the mud. However, Ann Balfen, right inner, quickly followed up with a goal rushed into the cage.

Center forward Sally Foster scored early in the second half, bringing the tally to 3-1. Yale subsequently scored by winning a penalty bully. Yale's last goal was also scored off a penalty bully after goalie Matson fouled by advancing on the ball.

Hilary Walker scored a perfect wing goal, intercepting the ball on the Yale offensive half of the field, dribbling the ball to just inside the striking circle and driving straight into the opposite side of the goal.

Inner Maud Wood had to fight for Radcliffe's fifth goal, finally scoring on an aggressive rush into the goal cage.

"The emphasis of both teams in the game was on playing good hockey and having fun, instead of playing to win," Claire Stuart, a fullback, said after the game against Yale. She said that the game against Princeton, which Radcliffe lost, was much more competitive.

The win brought Radcliffe's season record to 4-1-3.