Harvard Football Team Honors Its Members; McHugh, Rifkin and Hagerty Take the Cake

The Harvard football team honored three of its members for their contributions to this year's squad at an awards dinner last night at the Varsity Club.

Senior defensive end Mike McHugh was named recipient of the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award for "initiative, perseverance, courage, and selflessness." The award is the Harvard equivalent to a most valuable player prize.

McHugh, a standout of the Crimson defense throughout the season, established himself this year as one of the best defensive ends in the Ivy League. McHugh was second on the squad in tackles with 51 solos and 11 assists. He also recovered two fumbles, forced four other fumbles, dumped the opposing passer 14 times for 66 yards, blocked a kick, and batted down one pass.

Kerry Rifkin, performer on Crimson special teams for the last two season, received the William Paine LaCrois Trophy. The LaCrois award generally honors an "unsung here" for "sportsmanship, loyalty, and team spirit." This season Rifkin centered for punts and was a member of all Crimson special teams.

Highlight of Rifkin's season came in the Dartmouth game when he recovered a fumbled Dartmouth punt return for a touchdown in the opening moments of the game. The recovery for the score was fundamental in the Crimson's tie with the Ivy champions.

The third award presentation of the evening gave the Henry N. Lamar Award to tight end John Hagerty. The award, established this year in honor of former freshman and varsity coach Henry Lamar who coached at Harvard for 40 years, singles out the player who "through his dedication to the program and concern for his fellow, has made a unique contribution to Harvard football." The award is a gold pocket watch.

Haggerty was Harvard's leading receiver this year with 19 catches for 329 yards and three touchdowns. In his junior year he caught 13 passes, good for one touchdown.

Hargertty's career totals of 32 receptions for 531 yards rank him fourth on the all time Harvard pass receiving list.