Harriers Tie Navy in Heptagonal Meet

Rojas Leads Team With Second Spot

Rick Rotas Harvard's premier cross country runner and the Crimson to a tie with Navy for the Heptagonal Championships at Van Courtland Park in New York City yesterday.

Rojas finished less than four seconds behind Pennsylvania's Bob Childs who loped to a winning 24:51.7.

The meet was marred by the collapse of Dennis Fikes, one of Pennsylvania's stronger runners one-and-a-half miles into the five mile race.

Fikes, Rojas, Childs and Navy's Jeff Kramer were running in a pack uphill when Fikes tripped, possibly being knocked out.

Unable to continue, Fikes was transported from Varar Coaurtland via ambulance to a hospital but he is not believed to be in serious condition.

Fikes had been one of the two or three runners in serious contention for the individual crown at the Heptagonals. He was said to be suffering from a bruised heel, the result of a steeple chase mishap.

Behind Childs

Finishing behind childs' 24:51.7 and Rojas' 24:55.4 were Mearns of yale. 3rd John quark the Harvard team captain with a 25:26 time and 4th; Ron Van de Kraats of Princeton, 5th Steve Gilmore of Navy, 6th; Jeff Kramer another midshipmen the Steve Flynn of Army, 8th Lesley Aln also of Army, 9th and Harvard's Marsh Jones, who was 10th with a time of 25:45.

Harvard's top seven finishers besides Rojas Quirk and Jones included Fred Linsk, 22nd with a time of 26.12: Jim Keith, 27th at 26:19: Andy Campbell 28th at 26:21; and Jim Hughes, who came in 39th with a time of 26.33.

There were 3 starters for the Bronx contest, the first in the 34-year history of the Heptagonals end in a tie.

Only One Loss

Harvard has lost one contest the Greater Boston Championships this season that was to Northeastern.

The final standings saw the Crimson tie the Middies at 65 all, with Princeton third at 85. Army at 91, Penn at 93, Cornell at 160. Yale at 174, Dartmouth at 176, Brown at 237, and Columbia bringing up the rear with all of 306.