JV Harriers Place Second at C.I.T.'s

Penn Wins Handily

Harvard's JV cross country team has its nine game winning streak snapped by Pennyesterday at the Columbia Invitational tournament in New York. The Crimson harriers finished second followed by Dartmouth Princeton Army, Yale and Brown.

Penn took the meet quite convincingly placing 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, Harvard's best finisher was Mark Graham, who came in seventh. Other Crimson finishers were, Wayne Curtis, 13; Bob Clayton, 15; Dirk Skinner, 22; and Jim Springate, 25. Penn's Tom Barbary was the first finisher in the meet.

The JV's beat Penn in a dual meet earlier in the season by a score of 22:33. This was the first loss for the JVs this season. They took first in the Greater Boston tourney on October 31st. Their record now stands at 9-1, with two meets remaining in the season.

In other freshman sports, the soccer team has a break in its schedule this weekend after a tough 1-0 loss to Andover last Wednesday. The defeat was the Crimson's second of the season bringing their record to 3-2 Another prep school Exeter took the season opener by A score of 2-1.

Wins came over Babson and MIT by identical 41 tallies and against a powerful Dartmouth squad by a 2-1 margin. The frosh booters weren't up for Andover after a spirited comeback victory over the Big Green, and lost the game on a breakaway goal in the third quarter.

The remaining schedule takes the booters to Princeton on November 11 and pits them against Brown on November 17 in Providence. The season closes with the traditional clash with Yale.

The freshman football team also has this weekend off. The yardling gridders upped their record to 2-1-0 with a convincing 20-7 victory over Dartmouth on October 27. The Crimson offense pounded out 312 yards against the Big Green, and the defense held them to just 10 first downs. Quarterback Mike Lynch directed the Crimson with an awesome serial attack that was good for two touchdowns. He also kicked two PAT's.

The yardlings took the first game of the season 14-6 over a determined Tufts team. Their only loss came at the hands of Boston College in a thriller. The Crimson had a 26-21 lead and seemed a sure victor with just two minutes left in the game. But the Eagles pulled it out, scoring with 30 seconds left on the clock, to win the game 28-26.

Like the booters, the gridders face Princeton, Brown and Yale in the last three games of the season.