Novice Tillermen Pace H-R Triumphs

Gain Priddy's Trophy, President's Cup

The Harvard and Redcliffe sailing teams. Paced by two rookie skippers captured two regatta trophies in a plethora of intercollegiate takes on the Charles River yesterday.

Kathy Angell commanding a Radcliffe boat for the first time, and veteran skippe; Barb Grant won eight out of eight races to give the team the Boston University President's Cup. The two 'Cliffe boats outdistanced opponents from MIT, BU and Jackson College.

Harvard's Terry Neff followed Radcliffe's victory by directing his boat to five first place finishes to win the Allan L. Priddy trophy and Harvard's second consecutive Freshman New England Fall championship.

Neff, in his first tournament as a skipper, and crewman Kevan Gaughan guided the Crimson boat past 14 opponents in their bid for the crown. "Terry's performance was outstanding," coach Mike Horn said after the races. "He and the other fine freshmen will keep Harvard in good shape in the future."

The Harvard sailors finished 15 races with a 22-point victory margin over second place Tufts. The Coast Guard Academy and University of Rhode Island tied for third.

The Radcliffe sailors were pressed by MIT late in the BU tournament but the engineers were unable to handle the wind shifts. "The wind has been screwing up our races this season, but this time we used it to our full advantage," Barb Grant said.

"The 'Cliffe crew. Marie Roehm and Bambi Putnam, supported Grant and Angell through each race. "I'm very proud of the team," said coach Horn. "Winning the BU trophy is the equivalent of winning a greater Boston championship."

Bad weather hurt the Crimson Varsity men's team on the Charles Saturday as the sailors wound up sixth out of 13 teams in the MIT Shell Trophy races.

Harvard's two boats skippered by George Putnam and Dave Brownlee raced ahead of most opponents early in the tourney. But a hard blowing northeasterly wind and unpredictable currents made the Crimson's chances of surpassing top-ranked MIT considerably weaker.

Although Harvard settled for sixth place, the team qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championship Tournament to be held in two weeks in New York.

This weekend, the men are favored to win the Brown-sponsored Hoyt Trophy races which will be held here. The Radcliffe sailors may enter the University of Rhode Island tourney in Providence depending on the weather.