Yale Dumps Favored Dartmouth, Takes Ivy Lead

Hennings, Doyle Spark Eli Infantry

By Daniel Swanson

Yale moved into undisputed possession of first place in the Ivy League Saturday after the Elis upended previously undefeated Dartmouth, 45-14, in New Haven.

Coupled with Penn's rout of Harvard, the weekend action leaves the Elis in first place with a 3-1 record, while the Crimson and Dartmouth are deadlocked for the second slot with 2-1-1 marks.

Yale's wishbone offense churned out 370 yards on the ground against the Big Green defense, which had been rated the best in the league. The Eli infantrymen--Dick Jauron. Tyrell Hennings and Rudy Green--were bolstered by the addition of sophomore quarterback Tom Doyle.

Yale Push

Doyle, who started for the first time in place of fumbleitis-afflicted Roly Purrington, gained 160 yards himself in addition to orchestrating the rest of the Eli ground assault.

Yale jumped out to a 24-0 lead, putting points on the board the first four times they got the ball. The Big Green then came roaring back, scoring two touchdowns in 30 seconds toward the end of the second quarter.

But Yale's ground troops continued grinding out six yards a carry in the third frame, and iced the game with successive short TD plunges by Green and Hennings.

Yale coach Carm Cozza installed the wishbone in two weeks in September, but the slickly-executed offense shows few traces of its novelty. Sophomores Hennings and Green, explosive runners in their own right, prevented enemy defenses from keying exclusively on the veteran Jauron.

Hennings took over the fullback spot from Jauron, freeing the speedy Swampscott native for outside rambles. Hennings, who hails from Chicago and played halfback for most of his career, said yesterday he would prefer to run outside but will continue to grind out the attempt to consolidate their Ivy lead.

Hennings joined Jauron with high praise for quarterback Doyle. Hennings termed the Mishawauka, Ind. native "dynamite," while Jauron said Doyle was "really blessed."

Yale travels to Penn next week in an attempt to consolidate their Ivy lead, while Harvard faces Princeton and Dartmouth hosts Columbia.

Other Action

The Lions snapped an Ivy losing streak Saturday, blanking favored Cornell, 14-0, and pushing the Big Red to fourth place with a 2-2 record. Cronell, which stopped Yale last week, couldn't get its offense untracked and Dandy Don Jackson hit 20 of 33 aerials for his best passing day of the year.

In other action, Princeton blew over hapless Brown, 31-10, in a battle between two contenders for the Ivy cellar.