Hobbled Booters Host Jumbos Today

Adedeji Will Rest; Offense Is Ailing

By Charles B. Straut

Bottered and bruised by Saturday's 1-1 Ivy title standoff with Penn, the unbeaten, fifth-ranked Harvard soccer team, with little help from its schedule, faces local rival Tufts today at 2 p.m. on the Business School field.

Normally the Jumbos would nor be a serious threat to the Crimson's chances for an undefeated regular season, but given the extent of Harvard's injuries, the contest could be a lot closer than most people, especially coach Bruce Munro, would like.

Felix Adedeji, who has suffered through three contests hampered by painful muscle spasms which severely limited his mobility and offensive effectiveness, will take it much deserved rest. Hopefully, Adedeji, who is tied with teammate Bent Hinze for second place in the Ivy scoring race with seven points, will be healthy for the Crimson's drive down the stretch into the playoffs.

Chris Papagianis, who played the Penn game with water on his right knee and scored his record-breaking 14 points in that contest, toward-his-swollen knee yesterday. He was able to dribble, but had difficulty running at full speed. With Bent Hinze limping from A brushed hip the team is left with only one healthy forward, Dragan Vugovic.

At linkman Harvard is in relatively good shape. Bahman-Mossavar Rahmani who played the Penn game with a groin pull, is healthy, and Emmanual Ekama's sore fool appears to be finally heated.

The Crimson defense which egged on by some harsh criticism from the Penn coaching staff, played a superlative game against the Quakers was the hardest hit by the bumps and brushes Penn was handing out. Both captain hitch Scott and Brain Fearnett have sore knees, and Fearnett's ankle and Scott's shin are giving the defensive stars some pain.

Goalie Steve Kidder who it was learned yesterday, was kicked in the head while trying to handle the slippery ball which resulted in Penn's goal, will rest today to allow Ric Salvato some playing time. But even Salvato is hurting with an injured knee.

Despite the bleak injury prospect Harvard had something to cheer about for the firs time since last November the Crimson gathered all 12 first place votes in the New England soccer poll. The national rankings for the week have not yet been announced.

If the team can get by Tufts and Princeton on Saturday without sustaining any more injuries and, if it can regain some of its injured starters for Brown a week from Saturday, the Crimson will be is a good position entering the playoffs. Any more serious injuries, however, could prove fatal.