Investigative Team to Study Yale Housing And Assess Value of Freshman Affiliations

The committee on House's and Undergraduates Life in sending a team of two students and four faculty members to investigate the housing system and food services at Yale tomorrow.

The major purpose of the visit in to study the process through which Yale affiliates entering students with a college at the beginning of their freshman year. David Harnett director of Advanced Standing and one of the committee members going to Yale, said yesterday.

"We want to find out how they assign freshmen to their colleges--similar to Harvard Houses--and how they handle the problem of the male-female ratio," Harnett said.

The group will also investigate the Yale College Seminar System--Yale's ten colleges offer 40 seminars to college residents--and the general topic of education in the colleges.

The committees suggested the trip to Yale because of the changes in the Freshman Yard and Union. Harnett said. "Now that the Houses and Yard are coed, many people at Harvard think we should begin a system of affiliating students with Houses as soon as they come here." Harnett said.

Harnett said be thinks Yale's system is good because it gives the freshmen a definite college to associate with rather than "floating around." He added that some people object to the idea of destroying the separate freshman experience.

Hurris Young, assistant dean of freshmen and the other faculty members going to Yale, said if was unlike the Harvard would adopt the Yale system.

Young said he was chosen by the committee to study the dining service at Yale. One-thing Harvard and Yale students agree unanimously on the food at Yale is better and more varied than it is at Harvard.

The investigate team plans to return on Friday and report their findings to the CHUL.