"I MUST OBJECT"

Letters to the Editors

To the Editors of The Crimson.

I must object to the article published about me in last Friday's Crimson on the following grounds: (1) Comments were attributed to me in a distorted way completely out of the context of the factual description of my case. When presented in this manner, I must disavow them entirely because they are a distortion of the truth. (2) The article made no reference to the facts of the case which can be summarized as follows: My charges are that Tufts University has violated Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act as amended, by firing me discriminatorily after having condoned my personal harassment by my former department chairman, as well as by engaging in a pattern of discrimination against other women. These are my charges, not what was reported.

When I was contacted by The Crimson reporter I told him of the latest facts pertaining to my case--that on that day a peition containing nearly 800 signatures had been collected and presented to the Tufts Administration. This petition stated that I was being fired for unjust reasons and requested my reinstatement. I also told him about the environmental display (tree wrapping on campus) by Fine Arts students asking for my reinstatement, and of the picket lines set up that day in the administration building at Tufts. The reporter told me that these facts weren't very important since the story wouldn't appear the next day--it did. He also told me that he knew all the facts--he didn't. I refer anyone who wishes to know about my case to the articles which have appeared in the Boston Globe of December 7 and the Tufts Observers of November 17, December 1 and 8. In those articles my case is, generally, well reported in an objective manner.

As a former undergraduate at Radcliffe and a former graduate student at Harvard may I say that I am appalled at the yellow journalism involved in the story about me as printed in the December 8 issue of The Crimson. It is a cheap appeal to sensationalism which is completely untrue in spirit because it lacks context and adherence to fact.

Christiane L. Joost-Gaugier

Assistant Professor at Tufts