Harvard to Test Computerized Locks

The Administration and the Harvard University Police will soon begin testing a $700,000 computerized locking system for entry doors as a method for tightening security in the Houses.

Stephen S. J. Hall, vice president for Administration, said yesterday that the University is also in the process of installing a Delta 2000 computer system in the Undergraduate Science Center which will monitor the utility and fire alarm systems in addition to operating the locking system.

The system under consideration would be programmed to unlock a door only when the magnetic code on the student's Bursar's card matches the magnetic code for the entry's lock.

In addition, the system could be programmed to signal the Harvard Police if a door is jammed, being tampered with, or open for a more than reasonable amount of time.

The University is now laying wires in the tunnel system where the locking system will be evaluated for efficiency before being transferred to entry doors.

Hopes For Next Fall

Hall said that he hopes to have the system in operation by next fall if it works in the tunnels. He said that most of the crimes reported at Harvard occur in unlocked student rooms in areas where entry doors are not locked. Entries are only locked at Radcliffe, the Yard, and Leverett, House.

He also explained several new emergency procedures. A hot line was installed two weeks ago between the Harvard Police and the University Health Services. The police emergency number, 495-1212, now alerts both services.

Two Extra sergeants

The police will place signs throughout the University identifying the emergency number and telephone locations.

Hall also said that he and Robert Tonis, chief of University Police, are investigating the cost of adding two extra sergeants to the Harvard force.

Earlier this year, Harvard created a student security force of 14 students in 28 shifts who patrol the Yard and House areas from midnight to 8 a.m.

In addition, $100,000 worth of lights and $35,000 worth of new and upgraded locks were installed last summer.