South House Votes Not to Participate In ACSR Election

Members of South House voted last night 132 to 32 not to send representatives to the proposed panel to choose the two undergraduate members of the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ASCR).

The South House referendum gave two reasons for disapproving of the plan passed last Wednesday by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life. The referendum objected to the ACSR's lack of definite powers and to the fact that representatives to the committee were not directly elected.

The stated purpose of the ACSR is to advise the Administration in areas of corporate responsibility. The panel will have two undergraduate and three graduate student members as well as members of the Faculty and the Administration.

CHUL Plan

The CHUL plan provides that each House elect two members to a panel of electors. This panel will then choose two representatives to serve on the ACSR.

Mitchell L. Wolfe '74, Lowell House CHUL representative, said yesterday that he disagreed with any move to thwart the election procedure. He added that any desire to define the power of the ACSR should be discussed after the members of the electing panel for the ACSR have been chosen.

John I. Schwartz '73, a member of the South House Committee, said yesterday that the role of the ACSR was "a farce" because "no one is guaranteed any power." He suggested that the committee be composed of trustees and students gives specifically defined powers.